Action short of a strike to begin on 1st November
On 1st November, the day following the strike, UCU members are being called to begin industrial action by working to contract.
Working to contract is action short of a strike but it does not involve either breach of contract or partial performance.
Members are asked to observe their contracts strictly and withdraw the good will on which our universities depend so much.
This means in brief that members should;
- work no more than their contracted hours where those hours are expressly stated, or where they are stipulated in a workload agreement and in any event not to exceed the maximum number of hours per week stipulated in the Working Time Regulations (48 hours a week)
- perform no additional voluntary duties, such as out of hours cover, or covering for colleagues (unless such cover is contractually required)
- set and mark no work beyond that work which they are contractually obliged to set and/or mark
- attend no meetings where such attendance is voluntary on the part of the members
- undertake no duties that breach health and safety policies or other significant employer’s policies
More details and updates on the UCU website here